Sunday, August 30, 2009

H.U.G.S.

I've never been much of a "hugger", more of a hand shake kind of guy. But watch out I'm gonna start with the HUGS.

It hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday (Saturday) about 1pm as we stood on the front steps of Sammy Morris Hall at Taylor University and said our final goodbyes to our son Torrey who is beginning his Freshman year.

To say it was an emotional couple of days is an understatement. As we stood on the steps we gathered in a family circle and I babbled out a prayer. In between the tears and the crackled voice I sneaked a peak at Grace who was oblivious to what was happening and Laura who was sobbing uncontrollably. Torrey stood there with a big grin on his face undoubtedly excited by the prospect of the coming days.

After my Amen I said "Hugs all around" and Torrey first went to Grace and they hugged as if they really did love each other, then to Mom...still sobbing (by the way, Laura has NEVER been a crier), then finally to me.

My love language is "Words of affirmation" and as a result there is no greater joy than for me to hear a loved one say "I love You". As I voiced my love to Torrey and heard the sincerity of his "I love you too, dad" I was struck for what seemed like the longest time by the bear hug he was giving me...Obviously, I didn't want it to end...but in that frozen moment I felt the Spirit of the Lord in a way I've never felt before. I had PEACE, unimaginable PEACE.

We all sat silent as we made our way out of Upland...Grace already on her Nintendo DS...Laura "sawing" through Kleenex like a lumberjack through pine. And me reflecting on the power of that HUG!

Being a "words" man I began to ask myself, what are "HUGS"...you may or may not agree but I know hold the conviction that HUGS are Humans Unleashing God's Spirit.

HUGS
A mother comforting her newborn
Dear friends reunited
Mourning friends at a funeral
Christian Brothers and Sisters worshiping
Young lovers on a beach
Old lovers on a couch
Moms Dads and siblings on a porch of a college dorm

All these and more are opportunities for us to UNLEASH God's Spirit on a world in desperate need of not only PEACE, but JOY and the LOVE of the Father. Let's not miss out on the chance to spread this virus and infect the world with H.U.G.S!

Start simple...HUGS to your spouse, children, grandchildren...friends, neighbors, those who are hurting, those who are joyful, just give HUGS!

HUGS to YOU E-style!

Jay

1 comment:

Chic Cottage Junk said...

Jay, my husband and I, too, know the power of a hug when the Holy Spirit is involved in that hug. What an amazing gift from God!

Sue