Thursday, June 11, 2009

Run a step at a time






So yesterday I had way to much chocolate! I love chocolate and especialy chocolate that is drenched over popcorn, rice krispy treats, and pretzels!


As a result of the popcorn treats that I consumed during all day meetings I felt an obligation to go on a very long run....for me that is 4.5 miles. So off Jay and I went.

During my run, in order to keep my mind focused on running and not my wheezing lungs, I began to contemplate the lessons that can be learned from running as it pertains to life. Here are a few observations:

1.Our run, no matter which way we go, begins with a hill! Yesterday as we began, Jay said, "Just focus on getting up that hill." So that is what I did and before I knew it I was at the top. At two other points in our run, we encounter hills. These happen to fall at mile 2.5 to 4.0! Right at the point that I am ready to be done! Again Jay says, " Just focus on getting up that hill." Again, before I knew it, I was at the top.

My point is this....we all have hills in life. We need to focus on one hill at time- getting up those hills one at a time. We cannot look at the hill that might be at mile 2.5 or 4.0 in our life, we have to focus on the now! Before you know it you will be at the top.

2. As I was running, we were keeping a pretty good pace.Actually a much faster pace than I normally keep. I am convinced it was the chocolate! Anyway, I knew I was running faster, but just kept looking right in front of me and saying to myself, "Keep your breathing steady." I ran the entire 4.5 miles faster than normal.

In life we must keep steady. We cannot allow the unexpected challenges to throw us off balance. When we stay steady, we can do alot more than we would have first thought possible.

3. Jay and I run together. It is a great time to talk but it is a great encouraging time as well. Yesterday, I would not have made that 4.5 miles needless to say at the pace I ran it, if it were not for Jay beside me the entire time encouraging me, "you can do it!" " Just focus on this hill." " WOW! You are doing great!"

I think we can face anything life throws at us if we have someone with us encouraging us along the journey. A marriage is so much more than the wedding. It is so much more than what the media wants us to believe. A marriage is a man and a woman, who have said to each other that whatever might come our way, we are in this together, for the long haul (or run!). "Til death do us part".

1 comment:

~Pam~ said...

Great post Laura! Enjoyed all the great photos. The family pic is very nice. :-)
~HUGS~