Thursday, February 15, 2007

I am the PERFECT MAN! Sometimes...

Have you seen the Victoria’s Secret Valentine commercial where the VS Supermodels sit around wearing next to nothing talking about the qualities of “The Perfect Man”? Last night Laura and I were sitting in our chair together when that commercial swept across our screen. Supermodels eloquently articulating in various European accents character qualities like: He’s funny, cute, and adventurous, with eyes that sparkle…yada yada yada.

I turned to Laura and smugly said “Hey, you’ve married the PERFECT MAN!”. My lovely bride of 20+ years quickly grabbed the remote from my hand; hit the rewind button on the MOXI in order to assess my brash statement. As she replayed the commercial she literally held her hands up, digits ready to tick off on one hand the qualities I possess and the other hand ready for those I do not.

At the conclusion of the 30 second spot her “yes” hand was full to over flowing and her “no” hand was as empty as a robins nest in winter. I just smiled the smile of contentment to which she replied (with that tone that implies “you may be right but you still can’t birth a child”) “SO?” Last night my wife discovered what so many women fail to see, that they HAVE married the PERFECT MAN…sometimes. He’s just NOT the perfect man 24/7.

Likewise, if a bunch of hunky men were to sit around and describe the PERFECT WOMAN, we would ultimately be describinn our wives…SOMETIMES. None of us can live up to perfection, nor should we. What makes marriage ROCK, what helps couples keep the fun, romance and passion, is when we LOOK for the good, noble, and right in our spouse instead of those things that aren’t.

So…go home tonight and share with that man or woman of yours why you think THEY ARE the PERFECT SPOUSE for you!

Celebrate!

Jay

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My perfect man does a lot for me when I least expect...I like the surprise he brings to my life. Sometimes :-)

Clements Family said...

What a good reminder.

Before we got married, my sister suggested that while dating / getting to know each other, we each keep BOTH eyes wide open and find out everything about the other. After marriage, she said to close one of the eyes ... and keep the other one only half open.

OK, that is comical and extreme, but the point is the same. We are not perfect ... men or women, husbands or wives. We all have our flaws, and are imperfect -- at least most of the time.

Anonymous said...

When my husband asked me to marry him, he said "you are not perfect and I am not perfect, but we are perfect for each other". It is so true. I'm glad that God brought this "perfect for me" man into my life.