Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Are you smarter than a 5th grader!

The easy answer is NO! At least I am not! Grace is in fifth grade and she is much smarter than I. Her favorite thing to do right now is come home from school and quiz us all on whatever they are currently studying. Recently we have been quizzed on plants, their structure, how they grow and eat, etc. I did not do to badly on that quiz!

Currently in school, Grace is studying American History, specifically Native Americans. Last night she came home asking us all kinds of questions about tribes, where they lived, what they were known for, what they did for trade,etc. Grace's favorite part of the quiz is to turn it on us and make us ask her questions from our limited knowledge!

Last night, Jay was just sure he had her! He was asking her all kinds of questions concerning Native Americans and their history. Grace was answering every question correctly! Jay, being the competitive person that he is, thinks long and hard. "AH-HA!", he exclaims, "I've got one for you little girl!" " What is the name of the tribe from the Great Plains region that was known for wearing Mohawks?" Grace looks quizzically at him. " I do not know that one", she replies dejectedly. "Iroquois!" Jay exclaims triumphantly. To which Grace replies,"Dad that is not right. The Iroquois were northeastern woodland Indians." Stunned, Jay thinks, " Oh you're right I am thinking of the Apaches!"

Now I am NOT the only person in our family not smarter than a fifth grader!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I teach school and I not only am not smarter than a 5th grader...sometimes I'm not smarter than my first graders.

Lofty Portrayal said...

OMG i love this show!!! VOTE for it to win the People's Choice Award for Best Game Show... go to PCAVote.com