Saturday, October 20, 2007

I Don't hate animals...But this is ridiculous!

Let me start by saying that I am not an animal hater. I could never hurt an animal nor would I EVER condone that type of behavior. That being said I must speak out!

I saw a clip on the news this morning featuring Ellen DeGeneres and her "Dog Tragedy". Basically Ellen broke down crying on national TV because an organization she adopted a dog from took the dog back after Ellen violated the terms of the contract.

Ellen had spent $3,000 getting the dog neutered and "trained" to live with her cats. The dog wouldn't "fit in" so she gave the dog to her hairdresser and received daily "updates" about cuddly little Iggy. Her hairdresser has two daughters and Ellen is just distraught over these two girls losing their dog.

Now, I am sensitive to how easily young girls can get hurt, my Gracie reminds me of that almost daily. And I do feel for those two girls and I hope they get Iggy back.

What perked my ears and caused me to investigate was the $3,000 Ellen had spent in the first two weeks she owned the dog. I am aware of Ellen's fame and associated "fortune" I'm sure, but it made me ask what does it cost to own a dog?

I did some research and found that owning a dog for an average of 14 years (the average life span of a dog) ranges from $4,200 to $39,000. Those figures blew me away. Why? because I know how that much money could impact a PERSON in need.

Now don't go off on how dogs are good for your health, and make great companions, blah blah blah...guess what? So does having a relationship or friendship with a PERSON!

$4,200 can educate, medicate, clothe, feed, house, and impact a child for ETERNITY! Through Compassion International someone like you and me can impact impoverished children around the world. $32/month would help a child for over 10 years before it would cost $4,200.

Don't even get me started on $39,000. That's 10 kids for 10 years...wow!

I think before we shed one tear over an animal, we should shed many until we assist every PERSON who genuinely needs our help.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I agree!! What nonsense. So many people have such mixed up priorities. Thanks for putting it into words for me. Compassion International is a great way to direct your money.

Chris Giovagnoni said...

I agree with the main thrust of your post, particularly since I work for Compassion, but I also own two dogs and without them I wouldn't be at Compassion, which is a long story about learning how to love, to leave selfishness behind and to learn how to have relationships with people - as you said :-). And this comment isn't meant to say you're wrong/right in anyway, but for me, saying "I think before we shed one tear over an animal, we should shed many until we assist every PERSON who genuinely needs our help" kicked me in the gut because compassion (the word) isn't a black and white thing. It isn't an either/or or a first and then thing, it's something more. The money I spend on my dogs helps me give my time, my energy and my money to my God in many ways. I shed tears for my pups and for impoverished children, simultaneously.
Chris

Anonymous said...

I also support a Compassion child,
but our pets are a very important part of our life. We have an only child and her pets have taught her a lot about responsibility, love, caring, sharing, life and death. I usually agree with your comments, but on this one I have a different view. Priorities still have to be in place, with pets in our life, as well. The prices you quoted were on the high side, as I work for a Veterinarian. Also, Ellen paid way more than the average pet owner would pay, as well.
Just my thoughts..B