Monday, October 15, 2007

Can we fill God with Joy?

For the last 5 years Grace has slept in a "Petite Twin" bed that was my grandmothers. Grandma was 4'10" at her peak and had shrunk with age so the bed was plenty big for her. Grace however is growing like a weed and we would often find her sleeping with her feet off the end of the bed.

Saturday we were out at "Jay's Furniture Barn" in Elwell MI. We wandered back in the clearance section we found the perfect bed at an affordable price.

The bed has a bookshelf headboard complete with two reading lights built in which is perfect for our little girl who easily reads two to three books a week. It has dresser drawers "built in" underneath the bead which gives Grace extra space not needing a dresser in her bedroom. And best of all (for dad) the bed needed little assembly as it came in pieces that slid together.

As Grace snuggled in her bed that night, the strangest thing occurred. I found myself filled with a feeling I had never experienced before. The pure joy of "Fatherhood". Grace had never asked for a bed. She didn't really know she needed a bed. As her father however, I not only knew she needed it, but wanted to provide it simply because I love her. Grace's grateful response to the gift brought me pure JOY!

I think God is like that a lot with us. He knows what we need, even when we don't know we need it. He provides for us simply because He is our Father. No strings attached, no "ifs" no conditions. When we respond with gratitude for the little things God provides everyday, I believe we fill our Heavenly Father with JOY!

Thank God for the little ways He provides and know you are a blessing to HIM!

Jay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JAY, this comment is not really about Grace and her bed, but I did find it adorable. I AM JUST SENDING YOU A HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISH, AND I HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL CELEBRATION WITH YOUR FAMILY. MUCHO BLESSINGS OLD FRIEND!!!!
MICHAEL ROSEN